Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Relish those garden greens



















As much as I bellyache about my basement apartment's lacks (no dishwasher, no washer/dryer blah blah blah...) I have been relishing the cool ambient temp since this heat wave started. I hit Pepper's Foods today for some fresh veg and felt like I was walking through a sauna! Definitely not in the mood to actually cook something for lunch today, ergo salad!

I rarely follow salad recipes; all mine include some combination of tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms, and cheese. Sometimes with lettuce, sometimes pasta. Said combos are usually smothered in Three Cheese Ranch or Italian salad dressing.

For some odd reason, I had an avocado craving today, so I resolved to buy my first ever.

If you have never had avocado before: a ripe avocado is a dark green and gives slightly when squeezed. If the one you bought is bright green or hard, you can place it in a paper bag to speed up the ripening process. If the skin is black and the flesh is gives a lot, it is over ripe; make guacamole instead!

Italian dressing didn't seem right for this salad, so i stuck to the basics of olive oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper drizzled over the top. The salad was bright, light, and filling, and the flavours of the veggies shone through on their own strength, instead of drowning in dressing.

Great Greens Summer Salad

4 leaves Green Leaf lettuce
1 Roma tomato, diced
1/4 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 medium avocado, peeled and diced
1/3 medium cucumber, diced

Drizzle with olive oil, lime juice, white vinegar, and a dash of salt and pepper