Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I love when a recipe turns out absolutely amazing, especially when liberties are taken!

I finished canning and had a few peaches that too bruised to be used. Back in July, I received an update from "Food and Whine" about using peaches in muffins. Totally alien territory for me, using anything but berries in my muffin making, but I figured I'd take a risk and try this.

Boy am I glad I did! These muffins were so moist, with the peaches and yogurt, but not as sugary as I feared; it took a serious force of will not to devour the whole batch.

While the original recipe called for slivered almonds in the topping, I had pecans in my cupboard so I subbed those in; didn't miss the almonds at all!

These will make a great warm breakfast in the future; they were incredibly filling, yet light enough for the early hours, and have no need for butter at all ;)







Warm Peach Muffins

ingredients

2 2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup peaches, mashed

topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp vegetable oil

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl combine brown sugar, yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth. Add to flour mixture, top with mashed peaches, and mix until just combined.

combine topping ingredients and stir until sugar begins to cling.

Pour batter into muffin cups or greased muffin tin, sprinkle with topping, and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

My batch made about 14 muffins using a small muffin tin.